The 2013 Brass Blast
Thank you to all of the brass players, volunteers and family who joined us at the 2013 Brass Blast. Save the date for the 2014 Brass Blast attempt to be held on April 26, 2014 at Southington High School.
View the official 2013 Brass Blast video (35 minutes) or the short version (4 minutes). More photos and video from 2013 are also on the Southington Brass Facebook page, in the Hartford Courant, and in the Art Rich Photography album.
This year's special guests were:
- The Tower of Power horn section and drummer
- Dominic Farinacci and his quartet - Video of him performing "Someone I Used to Know" at the Blast
- Louise Baranger
- UConn's Funky Dawgz Brass Band
The Southington Brass Blast is a brass festival, a Guinness World Record attempt for the largest trumpet ensemble and a benefit for organizations that support students and musicians. At least 1,167 trumpeters are needed to break the record.
Over $6,000 was raised for these three worthy organizations:
- The Mill Foundation for Kids - www.millfoundation.org
- Southington High School Band Backers - www.shsmarchingband.com
- Connecticut Music Educators Association (CMEA) - www.cmea.org
Here is a photo of the check presentation.
View the 2013 Brass Blast Program. Promotional material from the 2013 event included Southington Brass Blast 2013, a Guinness World Record Attempt event on Facebook, a Southington Brass poster, a public service announcements which are available in a 30-second (video), 30-second (audio) and 60-second (audio) versions or listening to a radio interview on WQUN.
The Funky Dawgz Brass Band, a New Orleans style second line brass band from The University of Connecticut.
The Tower of Power horn section - Adolfo Acosta, Sal Cracchiolo, Emilio Castillo, Doc Kupka, and Tom Politzer, plus David Garibaldi, the TOP drummer, will be putting on a 60 minute clinic. They are being sponsored by Yamaha and Vantis Life. Tower of Power started performing 45 years ago in Oakland, CA. Each year Tower of Power tours the United States, Japan and Europe, playing to sold out crowds all over the world. Recent releases include “Great American Soulbook”, a collection of classic soul tunes, and the 40th Anniversary Concert DVD. Tower has never been busier or more in demand. New generations of fans come to see the band perform as their timeless music continues to excite fans of all ages.
- Dominick Farinacci and his quartet will put on a concert and master class. The New York Times recognizes Dominick Farinacci as "having the prepossessing charm and lyrical instinct of a jazz pop-star." The 29-year-old trumpeter is the recipient of the International New Star Award (along with Diana Krall and Christian McBride), the Disney New Star Award, first place honors in the ITG Carmine Caruso Jazz Competition (2003), and was first discovered by Wynton Marsalis when he was just 17. After appearing on PBS with Marsalis, Dominick attended The Juilliard School in NYC. In addition to touring internationally with his band, he created an innovative music outreach program for the Tommy Lipuma Center for Creative Arts in his native town of Cleveland, reaching over 3,000 kids in its inaugural year. The legendary Quincy Jones says of Dominick's wide array of accomplishments, "This kid is 360 degrees!" Most recently Dominick was featured of NPR's Piano Jazz Rising Stars, and is touring in support of his latest release Dawn of Goodbye. Dominick resides in New York City. He is endorsed by E.K. Blessing.
- Louise Baranger. Louise has performed around the world and her solo CD, Trumpeter's Prayer, on Summit Records, features Arturo Sandoval, Tom Kubis and Carl Fontana. She is included on the CD To Fred With Love: The World's Finest Brass Players Pay Tribute to Fred Mills.
- The Southington Brass, your hosts.
We would like to thank our lead sponsors.
- Vantis Life: Insurance Company
- TAB Computer Systems, Inc.
- Yamaha: 125 Years of Passion & Performance
Thank you to all of our supporters.
- Wayne Stanforth, CPA
- Lux Bond & Green
- Westchester Brassmen Drum and Bugle Corps
- S.E. Shires Custom Brass Instruments
- Ryan Business Systems
- Music & Arts
- WTIC NewsTalk 1080
- The Music Shop of Southington
- Southington Chamber of Commerce
- Charles Colin Publications
- Jaeger Brass: Brass Instrument Specialists
- Emendee Technologies: Telecommunications and Energy Solutions
- D'Agostino & Mazzone, LLC: Certified Public Accountants, Business & Financial Advisors
- Pan De Oro: All Natural Tortilla Chips
- Carmen Filloramo Photography
- Guida's Milk